HEO U18 AAA League
Table of Contents
Welcome to the HEO U18 AAA League!
The Player Handbook has been created to protect U18-aged hockey players and provide the best
opportunity for their continued development. It is critical that you, the U18 player, read and understand this document and what it means to you.
The dress code outlines the standard of dress to which players and coaching staff is expected to adhere to while representing the HEO U18 AAA League in all league, playoff, tournament, exhibition games and events.
These dress codes are in effect for all players and coaching staff when entering an arena for a game, during a game and when exiting an arena after a game. Tracksuits and other apparel can be worn on the bus prior to arrival, or when traveling back to the Home venue. For bus trips (for example a tournament), the dress code will be in effect when leaving a hotel and travelling back to a hotel.
Neat and appropriate dress shoes, dress pants and shirt with tie for all games. No blue jeans. Sports jacket, club jacket, or neat presentable coat is permissible. Club jackets shall only be League approved apparel. No hats other than Club approved toques during the winter are allowed. No other logos will be displayed. Failure to comply with this policy will result in a one game suspension for a first offense, followed by an indefinite suspension for a second offense that will result in a discipline hearing with the HEO U18 AAA League Discipline Committee for further actions if necessary.
Dress pants, belt, socks, dress shoes and dress shirt with tie for all games, no blue jeans running shoes, sandals, cowboy boots, etc… Sports jacket, approved club jacket or coat, or neat presentable coats are to be worn at games. Tracksuits are not acceptable for games, but are approved for practices. No hats other than Club approved toques are to be worn by team officials or players to games.
Coaches will enforce this policy with their players. A warning will be given to players for a first offense, followed by a one game suspension for a second offense, followed by an indefinite suspension for a third offense that will result in a meeting with the HEO U18 AAA League Discipline Committee for further actions if necessary.
The HEO U18 AAA League is committed to providing a safe environment in which to play hockey. Hockey is a sport that provides fun, exercise and an opportunity to grow as athletes and as members of the community. At times it can also be an emotional game for players, parents and coaches. The HEO U18 AAA League is committed to ensuring that all members are treated with respect – whether player, parent, coach, spectator or member of the league executive.
There are many rules that guide the behavior of those who participate in minor hockey. Rules apply to players, parents, coaches, spectators and other volunteers. When the rules are broken there is a response with a possible consequence. The response could be on the part of the coach, the Team Liaison, the League Executive, the HEO Minor, or other higher governing body.
The Director of Risk & Discipline holds the responsibility of Conduct Management to ensure the HEO U18 AAA League Code of Conduct are adhered to and that sanctions levied against players, coaches, spectators, volunteers and parents are carried out appropriately.
While the HEO U18 AAA League is responsible for the overall implementation of conduct management policies and procedures, conduct management happens at various levels within the League. Minor to moderate issues are typically dealt with at the team level or club level while others, due to their severity, must be escalated to HEO U18 AAAA League Executive for resolution.
- As a league, we shall instill in our players respect for opposing teams and game officials (both on-ice and off-ice officials).
- All misconducts incurred by players will be tracked and monitored by the Director of Risk and Discipline.
- Equipment infractions and the automatic misconduct penalty that applies to them will be exempted from this policy.
- Automatic misconducts associated with minor penalties are also exempted from this policy.
- This policy will be in force for all league, playoff, tournament, exhibition and special event games.
- Teams will be required to record and report all misconduct penalties to the Director of Risk and Discipline and the Director of Hockey Operations.
- It is the responsibility of the head coach to ensure that any suspensions handed out by the Director of Risk & Discipline are served.
- Should it be felt that the number of misconducts is thought to be excessive, the Director of Risk and Discipline will discuss the situation with the respective Team Liaison and Head Coach, and a determination made as to whether a suspension is warranted.
The Player covenants and agrees:
1. to report to training camp is sound and good health and perform at the level required of him to be a member of a U18 AAA Hockey Club.
2. to attend all team practices, games, training sessions and scheduled team functions in a timely manner and in appropriate dress and deportment.
3. to authorize the club to register him as a player for the season on the Hockey Canada Registry
4. to attend any classes or fulfill any educational commitments he has during the playing season
5. to permit the club to monitor his academic attendance and performance and report to his parents any progress or lack thereof from time to time.
6. to refrain from the use of alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs while under the direction of the club
7. to abide by the league’s social media policy as outlined in the player handbook
The Parents covenant and agree:
1. to ensure all of the player commitments are met and supported both prior to reporting and during the playing season to allow the club to monitor the attendance and performance of the player at his secondary or post secondary place of education during the playing season
2. to allow the club to register the player on the Hockey Canada Registry for the season
The Club agrees
1. to provide the player with the opportunity to play and perform with the Club as a full time member and with the benefits provided to all players save and except a guarantee of playing time in games.
2. to provide the necessary training to continue to develop his skills
3. to provide the technology and support as detailed in the teams operating standards
4. to register the player on the Hockey Canada Registry for the season
Social networking is defined as Internet services that allow users to build profiles, share information, videos, images, blog entries, music, etc: Social network platforms focus on building online communities of people who share interests and/or activities.
This policy encompasses public communications through such Internet mediums and websites such as Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Facebook and any other social media network. It is applicable to all individuals involved in the operations of the HEO U18 AAA League (herein referred to as the HEO U18 AAA League). These individuals (hereafter called actors) include: players, coaches, general managers, governors, alternate governors, owners, administrative personnel, support staff, medical staff, scouts, on-ice and off-ice officials and League personnel.
The HEOU18AAA understands and appreciates the importance of social networking as it relates to the personal and professional lives of its stakeholders. This immediate and public forum provides unique opportunities for networking and promotion. However it also provides an unsupervised medium for inappropriate conduct to occur; conduct which can be detrimental to the welfare of the League and its actors.
The HEO U18 AAA League holds its actors, which use or participate in social networking, to the same standards as it does for all forms of media including television, radio and print. Its actors should act in a professional manner at all times since they represent the HEO U18 AAA League at all times. Of note that once published online, comments are on record and cannot be retracted. All actors are accountable for their comments. If requested to participate in an online network by a third party as a result of your affiliation with the HEO U18 AAA League, the League recommends that you decline the request or obtain the authorization of the administrative office. These policies are designed to protect all parties from harassment, stalking, inappropriate contact or behavior, however they are intended.
The following are examples of conduct through social media and networking mediums that are considered violations of this policy and which may be subject to disciplinary action by the HEO U18 AAA League, at the discretion of the President:
– Statements which are critical of League personnel, its programs, volunteers, employees, on-ice or off-ice officials, players, members, owners or operations staff, sponsors or any other actors.
– Divulging confidential information that may include, but is not limited to the following: trade talk or other player movement, medical history (injuries or other), game plans or strategies and any other information that is deemed confidential.
– Sharing or divulging photos, videos or comments which promote negative influences or criminal behavior, including but not limited to: drug use, alcohol abuse, public intoxication, sexual exploitation, etc.
– Online activity that contradicts the current policies of the HEO U18 AAA League.
– Inappropriate, derogatory, racist or sexist comments, fowl language of any kind and any further actions that contradict the policies outlined by the HEOU18AAA on these matters.
HEO U18 AAA League Sanctions
1. Obscenities = Minimum 1 Game
2. Defaming a club team, individual member, executive or referee = Minimum 1 game
3. Racial, sexual orientation or threat = Minimum 3 games
4. Alcohol, drug or tobacco use photo = Minimum 1 game
5. Photo defaming league = Minimum 2 games
6. Repeat of any of the above = Minimum 1 game for each offence there after – indefinite for repeat offenders who aren’t learning from mistake.
7. Rookie party/ hazing photos, tweets or mention = indefinite suspension until investigated. Player will miss any games scheduled during the investigation, should no games be scheduled during the investigation there be one game minimum. A team fine can also be assessed from a range of $1000.00- $5000.00 plus possible coach and management suspension. Discretion on the suspensions and fines will be left to the HEO U18 AAA League.
All HEO U18 AAA League Community actors should assume that they are representing the HEOU18AAA and/or its member clubs at all times. They must use good judgment when using social media.
Social media users must use discretion and be respectful; if a photo or a comment is considered inappropriate for other forms of media, then it must also be considered inappropriate for use on social media networks.
For either traditional or social media, the use of member club logos and use of the HEOU18AAA logo are forbidden unless first authorized by the entity responsible. Permission must be granted in writing for use of same. Production of said permission must be made available by the user upon request as proof to the HEO U18 AAA League or Member club requesting a copy. Failure to produce permission will warrant the appropriate discipline for the action.
Any parties including, actors, owners, general managers, coaches and club staff members are to advise the HEO U18 AAA League administrative office immediately of any inappropriate use of social media networks.
I agree to abide by the aforementioned HEO U18 AAA League Social Media Guidelines and use good judgment when using social media. I will accept any consequence enforced on me by the League or team for any inappropriate use of social media networks.
(Actor –Please Print) ________________________
(Actor – Signature) _________________________